Discover current and upcoming exhibitions and cultural events taking place in Japan
Got something to discuss or add to the list? Get in touch with our account manager for Japan, Giulia Leali
- 5 October 2018 – 3 February 2019, Making the Difference: Vermeer and Dutch Art at the Ueno Royal Museum
- 15 Aug – Obon festival
- 14 July – 24 Sep. Monet‘s Legacy at the Yokohama Museum of Art
- 11 July – Anniversary of Giuseppe Arcimboldo‘s death: 425 years
- 19 June – 24 Sep. Michelangelo and the Ideal Body at the National Museum of Western Art, an exhibition that compares ancient Greek / Roman and Renaissance works with the masterpiece produced by Michelangelo of “Middle-aged” David-Apollo.
- 30 May – 3 Sep. Louvre Museum Portrait Art at the National Art Center, Tokyo. Enjoy the charm of portrait art, from Egyptian coffin masks from over 3000 years ago to monarch statues such as Louis XIV and Napoleon, as well as portraits of brilliant women and adorable children.
- 24 March – 24 June. Nude Art from the Tate Collection at the Yokohama Museum of Art (travelling exhibition). It includes Rodin‘s marble sculpture Kiss (Japan’s first public release) and Shuru (the first public exhibition in Japan).
- Until 25 Feb. Yayoi Kusama: Creation is a Solitary Pursuit, Love is What Brings You Closer to Art at Shinjuku’s Yayoi Kusama Museum, the world’s only museum dedicated entirely to this contemporary artist
- 24 Feb – 27 May. The Golden Age in the Museo Del Prado will be held at the National Museum of Western Art in Tokyo. It will showcase 70 masterpieces from Museo Nacional del Prado, including 7 paintings of Diego Velázquez who is considered to be one of most important painters from Spain. It will also be at the Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Art, Kobe from 13 June – 14 Oct, 2018.
- Until 18 Feb. Ancient Civilization of the Andes at the National Museum of Science and Nature in Ueno. An exhibition of truly epic scale, it looks at ancient Andean culture covering a whopping 15,000 years, 9 distinct civilisations and a geographical area that corresponds to most of the western side of South America. Discover artistic masterpieces from across the Andes, including golden masks and accessories, ceramics and clothing.
- 23 Jan – 1 Apr. Bruegel exhibition at the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, feat. works by Pieter Bruegel and celebrating 150 years of an artistic dynasty
- 6 Jan – 11 Mar. Holy Roman Emperor Rudolph II’s marvelous world exhibition at Bunkamura Museum feat. works by Giuseppe Arcimboldo and other artists Rudolph II loved
- (All year) Japan-France Diplomatic relations anniversary: 160 years
- 9 Dec – 4 March. Ishiuchi Miyako: Grain and Image at the Yokohama Museum of Art
- 9 Dec – 4 March. Surrealism – Paintings, Sculptures and Photographs at the Yokohama Museum of Art
- 3 Nov – 4 Feb. Turner and the Poetics of Landscape at The Kitakyushu Municipal Museum of Art, featuring 181 pieces of artwork gathered from various British and Japanese institutions. The display examines the enduring appeal of Turner and explores the mesmerising quality of his work.
- 21 Oct – 28 Jan. Hokusai and Japonism at the National Museum of Western Art, Toyko
Find out More
View our anniversaries page for upcoming historical, art and cultural dates to commemorate.
Bridgeman is the go-to resource for fine art images around the world. We regularly license content for museums and exhibitions, including merchandising – see our Renoir exhibition case study as an example.